ProFTPD (Pro File Transfer Protocol Daemon) is an open source FTP server and is compatible with both Microsoft Windows and Linux type operating systems. The main motive of Pro-FTPD is to provide a mechanism to setup FTP server that is more rich in features and highly secure and easy to setup. To install and configure the Pro-FTPD follow these simple steps.
1) Install proftpd using apt-get command
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get upgrade $ sudo apt-get install proftpd
2) Add this line in /etc/shells file
3) Create a /home/FTP-shared directory
cd /home sudo mkdir FTP-shared
4) Create a user which will be used only for ftp access.
sudo useradd any_user_name -p your_password -d /home/FTP-shared -s /bin/false sudo passwd userftp
5) Now we have to set the good permissions for these directories
cd /home sudo chmod 755 FTP-shared
6) Provide access of created shared directory to created FTP user
chown -R (FTPUSER) /(path)/(to_your_ftp)/
7) Restart proftpd service
sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd restart